|Head of Management of Non-Profit Organizations MBA Program (starting January 2018)
Research Interests: Finance
Office: Jacobs building, room 607
Office Hours: on prior appointment
Mahmoud Qadan is Assistant Professor of Finance in the Department of Business Administration at the University of Haifa. His research interests are in the areas of asset pricing, the microstructure of capital markets, financial econometrics, and behavioral finance.
- B.A. in Economics, Ben-Gurion University (2000)
- M.Sc. in Economics, the Technion (2004)
- Certified Public Accountant, University of Haifa (2005)
- Ph.D. in Finance, University of Haifa (2011)
- Post Doc., Columbia University, New York (2012-2013)
Dr. Qadan teaches the following courses:
- Advanced Econometrics
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Accounting
- Financial Econometrics
- Financial Management
- Options Markets
- European Journal of Finance
- Energy Economics
- Journal of Behavioral Finance
- Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization
- North American Journal of Economics and Finance
- Review of Accounting and Finance
- Eastern Finance Association
- Qadan, M. (2019). Risk appetite and the prices of precious metals. Resources Policy, 62, 136-153.
- Qadan, M. & Aharon, D. Can Investor Sentiment Predict the Size Premium? International Review of Financial Analysis, 63, 10-26.
- Qadan, M. & Aharon, D. (2019). The Length of the Trading Day and Trading Volume. Eurasian Business Review. Forthcoming
- Kliger, D. & Qadan, M. (2019). The High Holidays: Psychological Mechanisms of Honesty in Real-Life Financial Decisions. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics. Forthcoming.
- Aharon, D. & Qadan, M. (2018). The Size Effect is Alive and Well, and Hiding Behind Calendar Anomalies. Journal of Portfolio Management. Forthcoming
- Aharon, D. & Qadan, M. (2018). Bitcoin and the Day-of-the-Week Effect. Finance Research Letters. Forthcoming
- Qadan, M. & Aharon, D. (2018). How much Happiness Can We find in the US Fear Index? Finance Research Letters. Forthcoming.
- Aharon, D. & Qadan, M. (2018). When Do Investor Pay Attention to the Commodity Market? Resources Policy. Forthcoming.
- Qadan, M., Kliger, D. & Chen, N. (2018). “Idiosyncratic Volatility, the VIX and Stock Returns". North American Journal of Economics and Finance. Forthcoming.
- Qadan, M. (2018). Switches in Price Discovery: Are U.S. Traders More Qualified in Making Valuations? North American Journal of Economic and Finance, 44, 221-234.
- Qadan, M., & Nama, H. (2017). Investor Sentiment and the Price of Oil. Energy Economics, 69, 42-58.
- Qadan, M., & Kliger, D. (2016). The Short Trading Day Anomaly. Journal of Empirical Finance, 38, 62-80.
- Qadan, M., & Yagil, J. (2015). Are International Real and Financial Co-movements Characterized by Asymmetric Co-integration? Review of Accounting and Finance, 14 (4), 398-412.
- Qadan, M., & Yagil, J. (2015). International Co-movement of Real and Financial Economic Variables. Applied Economics, 47, 3347-3366.
- Qadan, M., & Ben-Zion, U. (2014). The Role of Demographic and Psychological Differences in Future Financial and Economic Expectations. International Journal of Economics and Finance, 6, 37-45.
- Levy, T., Qadan, M. & Yagil, J. (2013). Predicting the Limit-Hit Frequency in Futures Contracts. International Review of Financial Analysis, 30, 141-148.
- Qadan, M. (2013). The Impact of the Day-of-the-Week on the VIX Fear Gauge. International Journal of Economic Perspectives, 7, 24-31.
- Qadan, M., & Yagil, J. (2012). On the Dynamics of Tracking Indices by Exchange Traded Funds in the Presence of High Volatility. Managerial Finance, 9 (38), 804-832.
- Qadan, M. & Yagil, J. (2011). Main or Satellite? Testing Causality in Mean and Variance for Dually Listed Stocks. International Journal of Finance & Economics, 17, 279-289.
- Qadan, M. & Yagil J. (2011). Fear Sentiments and the Gold Price: Testing Causality in Mean and in Variance. Applied Economics Letters, 19(4), 363-366.
- Market Panic, Information Flow and Price Discovery
- Stock-Bond Co-movements using Markov Switching Regimes
- Estimating the performance of Mutual and Pension Funds
- Systematic Risk, Idiosyncratic Risk and Spillovers in Financial Markets
- Re-Examining the interplay between the Leading Indicators and the Financial Market
- 2010, June – Financial Management Association, Barcelona, Spain
- 2011, April – Eastern Finance Association, Savanna, Georgia, USA
- 2011, September – Westminster College, New Wilmington, Pennsylvania, USA
- 2012, June – Financial Management Association, Krakow, Poland
- 2013, March – Midwest Finance Association, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- 2013, May – Eastern Economic Association, New York, New York, USA
- 2014, June – Financial Engineering and Banking Society, Surrey University. UK
- 2014, December – iPag Business School, Paris, France
- 2015, February – Eastern Economic Association, New York, New York, USA
- 2015, April –University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
- 2015, October – Western Galilee College, Acre, Israel
- 2016, April – Swiss Society for Financial Research, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2017, February – Eastern Economic Association, New York, New York USA
- 2017, February – Dep. of Business Administration, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
- 2017, April – Western Galilee College, Acre, Israel
- 2017, April – Eastern Finance Association, Jacksonville, Florida, USA
- 2017, Aug – The 26th Subjective Probability, Utility, and Decision Making Conference, Technion
- 2017, Dec –The 10th European Business Research Conference, Rome, Italy
- 2018, June – The 25th Multinational Finance Society, Budapest, Hungary
- 2018, Sep – Research in Behavioral Finance Conference. Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, Netherland
2018, December – 49th International Business Research Conference. Tokyo, Japan
Publications in Newspapers: [Hebrew]
- The January Barometer. TheMarker– January 29, 2015.
- The Ramadan Effect. Investors are Hungry for Returns During Ramadan. TheMarker – June 16, 2013.
- Will the Capital Market Rise if Netanyahu is Elected Again? TheMarker – December 2, 2012.
- The Psychology of Fear: Do the “Days of Awe” Affect Capital Markets? TheMarker - October 2, 2012.
- Short Trading Days are Profitable for Traders. TheMarker - April 6, 2012.
- On the link between Sport Outcomes and Equity Prices. Calcalist – June 18, 2018.
Master and Ph.D. Supervision
- Shani Gold (M.A.) – “Predicting Size Premium with Rational and Irrational Factors”. January 2016
- Hazar Nama. (M.A.) – “Investor Sentiment and the price of Oil”. January, 2017
- Maher Zoabi (M.A.) – “The Demand for Information –international Perspective”. August 2017
- Nir Chen. (M.A.) – “Idiosyncratic Volatility, VIX and Expected Returns”. April 2017
- Yasmeen Idilbi. (M.A) –Systematic Risk, Risk Aversion and Commodities Prices. Dec. 2018
- Samar Zaher (M.A.) – “Stock-Bond Co-movements using Markov Switching Regimes”. January 2019.
- Ph.D, Liron Reiter. (Ph.D) – “In Search of Financial Advice”.
- Ph.D, Liron Reiter. (Ph.D) – “Attention, Retail Investors and Trading Biases”.