Dr. Andrea Ghermandi is a tenured Senior Lecturer at the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Management at the University of Haifa (Israel) and a member of the Global Young Academy. He is the academic head of the Global Green MBA program at the University of Haifa's Faculty of Management and a member of the Executive Committee of the Natural Resources and Environmental Research Center (NRERC). He received a Ph.D. in Analysis and Governance of Sustainable Development from the School for Advanced Studies in Venice Foundation at the University of Venice in 2008. He also holds two Master degrees in Water Resources Engineering and Environmental Engineering respectively from the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven / Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Belgium) and University of Trento (Italy). In recent years, Dr. Ghermandi has contributed to high-profile international initiatives such as TEEB-The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity, the UNEP/GEF Project for Ecosystem Services (ProEcoServ), the Ocean Health Index, and the Ecosystem Service Partnership. He has published widely in major environmental science and environmental economics journals such as Water Research, Global Environmental Change, Water Resources Research, Science of the Total Environment, Ecosystem Services, Journal of Environmental Management, Ecological Economics, and Environmental and Resource Economics. Among his main research interests are the technical and economic evaluation of sustainable technologies for water treatment and desalination, the economic valuation of freshwater and coastal ecosystem goods and services, and the development of techniques for transferring and mapping ecosystem service values.
31. Nunes, P.A.L.D., and A. Ghermandi (eds.) “Special Issue on The Economics and Management of Coastal and Marine Ecosystems”, Environmental and Resource Economics 56 (2013).
30. Ghermandi, A., T. Minich (2016) Analysis of farmers’ attitude toward irrigation with desalinated brackish water in Israel’s Arava Valley. Desalination and Water Treatment, 10 pp. (Word document) (IF=1.272; 5-y IF=1.245; R50/85 Q3 Water Resources).
29. Ghermandi, A., A.M. Sheela, J. Justus (2016) Integrating similarity analysis and ecosystem service value transfer: results from a tropical coastal wetland in India. Ecosystem Services (IF=4.307; R22/149 Q1 Ecology; R24/225 Q1 Environmental Sciences).
28. Zilberfarb, Z., R. Palatnik, A. Ghermandi (2016) Urban grey water reuse: the gap between public perception and regulation. Ecology and Environment (in Hebrew).
27. Ghermandi, A. (2016) Analysis of intensity and spatial patterns of public use in natural treatment systems using geotagged photos from social media. Water Research 105: 297-304 (IF=5.991; 5-y IF=6.769; R1/85 Q1 Water Resources; 7/225 Q1 Environmental Sciences).
26. Ghermandi, A., E. Fichtman (2015) Cultural ecosystem services of multifunctional constructed treatment wetlands and waste stabilization ponds: time to enter the mainstream? Ecological Engineering 84: 615–23 (IF=2.740; 5-y IF=3.223; R17/50 Q2 Environmental Engineering).
25. Canu, D., A. Ghermandi, P.A.L.D. Nunes, G. Cossarini, P. Lazzari, C. Solidoro (2015) Estimating the value of carbon sequestration ecosystem services in the Mediterranean Sea: An ecological economics approach. Global Environmental Change 32:87–95 (IF=5.679; 5-y IF=7.482; R11/225 Q1 Environmental Sciences).
24. Rao, N.S., A. Ghermandi, R. Portela, X. Wang (2015) Global values of coastal ecosystem services: A spatial economic analysis of shoreline protection values. Ecosystem Services 11:95–105 (IF=4.307; R22/149 Q1 Ecology; R24/225 Q1 Environmental Sciences).
23. Ghermandi, A., B. Galil, J. Gowdy, P.A.L.D. Nunes (2015) Jellyfish outbreak impacts on recreation in the Mediterranean Sea: Welfare estimates from a socio-economic pilot survey in Israel. Ecosystem Services 11:140–7 (IF=4.307; R22/149 Q1 Ecology; R24/225 Q1 Environmental Sciences).
22. Ghermandi, A. (2015) Benefits of coastal recreation in Europe: identifying trade-offs and priority regions for sustainable management. Journal of Environmental Management 152:218–29 (IF=3.131; 5-y IF=4.049; R54/225 Q1 Environmental Sciences).
21. Camacho-Valdez, V., A. Ruiz-Luna, A. Ghermandi, C.A. Berlanga-Robles, P.A.L.D. Nunes (2014) Effects of land use changes on the ecosystem service values of coastal wetlands. Environmental Management 54(4):852–64 (IF=1.857; 5-y IF=2.297; R110/225 Q2 Environmental Sciences).
20. Ghermandi, A., R. Messalem, R. Offenbach, S. Cohen (2014) An engineered oasis for solar desalination and dryland agriculture. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 29(3): 255–64 (IF=1.435; 5-y IF=1.734; R13/57 Q1 Agriculture, multidisciplinary).
19. Nunes, P.A.L.D., A. Ghermandi (2013) The economics of marine ecosystems: Reconciling conservation and use of coastal and marine systems and the underlying natural capital. Environmental and Resource Economics 56:459–65 (IF=1.667; 5-y IF=2.239; R70/334 Q1 Economics).
18. Kedem, O., A. Ghermandi, R. Messalem (2013) On the drying out of bipolar membranes. Membrane Water Treatment 4(3):215–22 (IF=0.400; 5-y IF=0.594; R77/85 Q4 Water Resources).
17. Ghermandi, A., H. Ding, P.A.L.D. Nunes (2013) The social dimension of biodiversity policy in the European Union: Valuing the benefits to vulnerable communities. Environmental Science and Policy 33:196–208 (IF=2.972; 5-y IF=3.776; R60/225 Q2 Environmental Sciences).
16. Camacho-Valdez, V., A. Ruiz-Luna, A. Ghermandi, P.A.L.D. Nunes (2013) Valuation of ecosystem services provided by coastal wetlands in northwest Mexico. Ocean & Coastal Management 78:1–11 (IF=1.696; 5-y IF=1.994; R31/85 Q2 Water Resources).
15. Ghermandi, A., P.A.L.D. Nunes (2013) A global map of coastal recreation values: Results from a spatially explicit meta-analysis. Ecological Economics 86:1–15 (IF=3.227; 5-y IF=4.227; R51/225 Q1 Environmental Sciences).
14. Rodrigues, L., J.C.J.M. van den Bergh, A. Ghermandi (2013) Socio- economic impacts of ocean acidification in the Mediterranean Sea. Marine Policy 38:447–56 (IF=2.453; 5-y IF=2.715; R23/104 Q1 Environmental Studies).
13. de Groot, R.S., L. Brander, S. van der Ploeg, F. Bernard, L. Braat, M. Christie, R. Costanza, N. Crossman, A. Ghermandi, L. Hein, S. Hussain, P. Kumar, A. McVittie, R. Portela, L.C. Rodriguez, P. ten Brink (2012) Global estimates of the value of ecosystems and their services in monetary units. Ecosystem Services 1:50–61 (IF=4.307; R22/149 Q1 Ecology; R24/225 Q1 Environmental Sciences).
12. Olwig, R., T. Hirsch, C. Sattler, H. Glade, L. Schmeken, S. Will, A. Ghermandi, R. Messalem (2012) Techno-economic analysis of combined concentrating solar power and desalination plant configurations in Israel and Jordan. Desalination and Water Treatment 41(1-3):9–25 (IF=1.272; 5-y IF=1.245; R50/85 Q3 Water Resources).
11. Brander, L., I. Bräuer, H. Gerdes, A. Ghermandi, O. Kuik, A. Markandya, S. Navrud, P. Nunes, M. Schaafsma, H. Vos, A. Wagtendonk (2012) Using meta-analysis and GIS for value transfer and scaling up: Valuing climate change induced losses of European wetlands. Environmental and Resource Economics 52:395–413 (IF=1.667; 5-y IF=2.239; R70/334 Q1 Economics).
10. Palatnik, R.R., I. Kan, M. Rapaport-Rom, A. Ghermandi, F. Eboli, M. Shechter (2011) Integration of general and partial equilibrium agricultural land-use transformation for the analysis of climate-change in the Mediterranean. Climate Change Economics 2(4):275–99.
9. Ghermandi, A., J.C.J.M. van den Bergh, L.M. Brander, H.L.F. de Groot, P.A.L.D. Nunes (2010) The values of natural and human-made wetlands: A meta-analysis. Water Resources Research 46, W12516, 12 pp. (IF=3.792; 5-y IF=4.423; R5/85 Q1 Water Resources; R35/225 Q1 Environmental Sciences).
8. Ghermandi, A., S. Batayneh (2010) Photovoltaic-powered membrane desalination in urban and rural areas. Annals of Arid Zone 39(3-4):1–22 (IF=0.010; R52/53 Q4 Agronomy).
7. Ghermandi, A., R. Messalem (2009) The advantages of NF desalination of brackish water for sustainable irrigation: The case of the Arava Valley in Israel. Desalination and Water Treatment 10:101–7 (IF=1.272; 5-y IF=1.245; R50/85 Q3 Water Resources).
6. Ghermandi, A., R. Messalem (2009) Solar-driven desalination with reverse osmosis: The state of the art. Desalination and Water Treatment 7:285–96 (IF=1.272; 5-y IF=1.245; R50/85 Q3 Water Resources).
5. Ghermandi, A., V. Vandenberghe, L. Benedetti, W. Bauwens, P.A. Vanrolleghem (2009) Model-based assessment of shading effect by riparian vegetation on river water quality. Ecological Engineering 35:92–104 (IF=2.740; 5-y IF=3.223; R17/50 Q2 Environmental Engineering).
4. Ghermandi, A., D. Bixio, C. Thoeye (2007) The role of constructed wetlands in municipal wastewater reclamation and reuse. The Science of the Total Environment 380:247–58 (IF=3.976; 5-y IF=4.317; R32/225 Q1 Environmental Sciences).
3. Ghermandi, A., D. Bixio, P. Traverso, I. Cersosimo, C. Thoeye (2007) The removal of pathogens in constructed wetlands and its implications for water reuse. Water Science and Technology 56(3):207–16 (IF=1.064; 5-y IF=1.195; R37/50 Q3 Environmental Engineering).
2. Traverso, P., D. Zanchettin, A. Ghermandi, F. Busetti, S. Badoer (2007) Seasonal variability of SVI in the secondary sedimenter of an Italian WWTP. Chemical Engineering Transactions 11:217–21 (SJR=0.412; SJR Q2 Chemical Engineering (miscellaneous)).
1. Ghermandi, A., D. Bixio, C. Thoeye, G. De Gueldre (2005) Technical- economical evaluation of the operation of oxidation ditches. Water Science and Technology 52(12):133–9 (IF=1.064; 5-y IF=1.195; R37/50 Q3 Environmental Engineering).